The tradition of cutting down your own holiday tree has been growing in popularity. Regardless of whether you buy your tree pre-cut or cut it yourself, it is still very important for you to follow the safety tips associated with caring for your holiday tree. This will help decrease the chances of a holiday tree fire. There are over 200 instances of holiday tree fires each year. Don’t join them in that crowd!
- Pick as fresh of a tree as possible! If the tree looks dry or is dropping a large amount of needles then it may be too old!
- Put that tree in water as soon as possible. Continue to water the tree to prevent it from drying out.
- Keep your tree away from all heat sources and open flames. They can lead to dry needles catching the flame and spreading.
- Only uses lights that have been tested by the UL or ETL/ITSNA. These are lab tests that ensure the safety of the lights.
- Lights off before you go to bed! This will keep you and your family safe while you are sleeping.